Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Homemade Granola


I found the most splendid recipe for homemade granola. I've already made it once and polished it off so I made more on Sunday. Oats are a carbohydrate, but I allow now allow it in moderation. When I say moderation I mean a couple of tablespoons, not a bowl full. It makes sense to enjoy it in small servings when you see the price on the granola at the store anyways. Have you seen how much they charge for some of that stuff? I've seen it as high as 6 dollars for a tiny bag. That's crazy!!! I make mine for a fraction of the cost.


Rolled oats and sliced raw almonds


All ready to go in the oven

While the granola was baking I cut up some unsweetened dried apricots, unsweetened dried apples, unsweetened pineapple, and unsweetened mango to add to the oat mixture after baking.

The finished product

I found the recipe somewhere on the internet, but sadly I don't know where. If you spot it somewhere please let me know so I can give the granola genius credit for this one. I'm NOT the original creator of this recipe....

HEALTHY HOMEMADE GRANOLA

In a bowl, mix...
  • 1 cup rolled oats
  • 1/4 cup sliced almonds
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 tbsp honey
That’s it! I mixed this all together, making sure to spread the honey and olive oil evenly throughout the dry ingredients, and then spread it out on top of parchment paper in a 13×9 in pan.

Then, I put it in the oven at 350º for 20-25 minutes, mixing it around half way through.

Store it in an airtight container. I made it into 4 huge servings, but it could easily make 6 or 8. But really, you can make this with anything you have around. The honey/oil clumps it together so it gets crunchy and delicious. You can add cinnamon, dried fruit, chocolate, sunflower or pumpkin seeds… you name it. Just remember that if you’re going to put any chocolate or dried fruit (raisins, cherries, etc), you want to add those things after its done baking, but while its still fresh out of the oven and warm.

I threw in some raw pepitas and flax seeds to my granola mixture. I also added 1/4 tsp. of salt, along with some Penzey's cinnamon and cocoa powder. It is super tasty!!!

Granola meets greek yogurt and almond butter with roasted flax seeds

homemade granola + unsweetened soymilk =
match made in heaven!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...