Saturday, April 2, 2011

On Top Of Spaghetti!

April Fool's Day hasn't ever been something I've participated in or celebrated.  So, I decided to change things up a bit this year.  
We had another teacher luncheon at school where we all bring stuff to share.  I brought spaghetti and meatballs.  Take a look...... 


Okay, okay... It was really spaghetti and meatball cake.  And don't worry, there wasn't any meat involved. 

I used a basic boxed white cake mix (nothing fancy) and baked it in a 9x13 pan.  Once the cake was completely cool, I made my homemade vanilla (sorry, but I think almond frosting is gross) frosting and placed it in a quart-size ziploc and cut off a small corner.  Then, I randomly piped out the frosting to look like noodles.  The "meatballs" were made of peanut butter, honey, and oats.  They were formed into the "meatballs" and placed in the fridge to chill and keep a good shape.  Finally, the meatballs were placed in a bowl of strawberry preserves and then placed on the cake.  

I wasn't sure how the cake would go over at school.  It made for some interesting looks and comments, but was the only cake that was completely demolished.  So, for as "weirded out" as some may have been, it must have tasted pretty good.  hahahaaaa...
Hope you had a Happy April Fool's Day! 

4 comments:

Behrmans said...

Love it! Do you have a picture of the side (cut in) view.

Jenn said...

Nope. It was mostly gone by the time I got to lunch at 11:15. I'll have to make it again one of these days. It was a blast!

Unknown said...

I have done some similar to that and people couldn't believe it wasn't actual spaghetti! Only I used ferrero rocher as the "meatballs." Not as healthy.

Jenn said...

I was inspired by somebody who use ferrero rocher as the "meatballs", but I didn't want to go to the store. Plus, those aren't cheap in my opinion. The "meatballs" I made ended up working out really well. This is a cake I'll have to remember.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...