Wednesday, July 8, 2009

6am is sleeping in!

David officially started his 3rd year of Medical School on Monday. They started with Orientation that day. From what I can gather from David, it was more stressful than informative. Great.

I dropped him off at School the past couple of days so I could get some things done around town. The most important thing I took care of was our car tags. It's that time of year again, but luckily I was able to get a 2 year tag this time so I won't have to deal with it next summer. Yay!

David and I went to bed at 9pm last night. That's crazy early for us these days. We both got up sometime before 5 this morning and I dropped him off at the hospital at 5:45. Yea, we've both had that schedule at one time or another, but that was a LONG time ago. We've been living the lives of students and scheduling our classes as late as possible. I think most of his classes started at 9am this last year, so 6am is early!

I'm looking at the time right now and realizing that I dropped him off over 8 hours ago. I haven't heard from him all day. I don't know if I should go ahead and start laundry (in the apt. laundromat) or just sit by the phone. I'm wondering if they'll keep him for 12 hours on his first full day. Who knows?

David did mention that this was probably the latest (6am) that he'll ever get to report to his surgery rotation. He thinks it'll be more like 4am from here on out. That's kinda freaking me out because he usually doesn't even get to bed until about that time. Thank goodness for Ambien.

We officially have a new bedtime over here at our place. I'm thinking we'll be going to bed between 8 and 9 every evening during surgery rotation. He's currently in NEUROSURGERY and I'm not sure what comes next.

I've heard for the past 2 years that 3rd year is the absolute worst. I hear that I'll rarely see my husband and that he'll be running on "E" almost the entire time. I'm getting sad just thinking about all of this right now. Ugh! I'm definitely ready for school to start up so I can go back to teaching. It sure beats sitting around the house all day.

On a good note, I can say that I already got my work-out in for the day. I was at the gym at 6am and was on the elliptical for 65 minutes. It's nice to check that off my list so early in the day.

I'm hoping this year won't be as bad as so many people claim. I'm actually beginning to wonder if people say it's so hard because they've never had a real job before. Yea, that sounds crazy, but the majority of the Med Students graduated High School, attended Undergrad and graduated, and are now in Med School. Many of them haven't ever had a job of any kind. Most of them haven't had a career. Nothing's wrong with that, but I see how it could definitely change someone's perspective. Hopefully it won't be as difficult for us because we have been in the working field. We BOTH had careers and chose to leave them for this journey we're currently taking. Now, we just have to re-train ourselves for these long days.

I guess I better get my laundry started. I can't sit around and wait forever. It might be 6pm before I hear from him.


Yia Yia said...

I think your insight on people not having real jobs is spot on. Working is a big shock after being in school all your life. You guys will get through this just fine.

The Gray Roach said...

It is smart to adjust your sleeping schedule, especially for David, he'll need to get rest when he can. Doctors really earn those degrees! The spouses on the side need a support group. :)
I'm jealous of your work-out. I've been really nursing my ankle and not doing too much.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...