Thursday, January 22, 2009

Hang On Little Tomato


I've officially decided for the millionth time that I'm obsessed with tomatoes.  I may have a huge Vitamin D deficiency and have calcium problems, but by golly I sure don't lack lycopene.  

I made some salsa yesterday that was supposed to be for a dinner party that I'm attending this Saturday night.  It was so good that I have been putting it on everything.  I had it with my grilled chicken and peppers last night.  Today I poured salsa all over my romaine salad that was topped with last nights leftovers.  Delish!  While preparing tonights dinner (100 calorie can of soup and a grilled cheese) I dipped broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots in the salsa.  It was a healthier decision than tortilla chips would have been.  Go Me!  
So, I have officially consumed 32oz of salsa in about 36 hours. I guess I'll be making a much larger and fresh batch for the dinner party.  Oh, I almost forgot to mention that I also had fresh tomato slices with my last several meals.  How crazy is that?  

I like tomatoes so much that I had to mention the song "Hang On Little Tomato," that's on the Pink Martini album.  I LOVE that song.  

Moral of the story:  I LOVE salsa!  I LOVE tomatoes!  


I doubled the recipe, but here it is......  ENJOY!


Salsa

  • 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes and green chiles
  • 1/4 cup sliced onions
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon sugar
  • 2 tablespoons sliced jalapenos
  • cilantro 
Put all ingredients except jalapeno peppers into a blender. Process for only a few seconds. Do not blend too long. Make sure tomatoes are still slightly chunky. Add jalapeno peppers last and blend for about ten seconds. Let flavors blend for a few hours in the refrigerator. 


1 comment:

Dave and Kathryn Dodds said...

Yum! I'm going to have to make this! I am ALSO a tomato lover! I have all of the stuff right now to make a tomato basil brescetta(sp?) for lunch! Sounds like an amazingly yummy day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...